Travelling - it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.

Friday 19 April 2019

To Winglin Fanfic's Authors and Readers

This post is specially dedicated to all Winglin Fanfic's authors and readers.

Back in the days where Chinese drama My Fair Princess was so popular that everyone started writing fan fictions about Alec Su and Vicki Zhao.

That’s how I came to know about Winglin Fanfic. I remembered reading the amazing stories and waiting eagerly for weeks to see if the authors were going to update another chapter.

Posting on their comment boxes encouraging them to continue writing more lovely stories.

Made me wanted to start a fanfic myself. Thought real hard on the actors and actresses. Somehow, got in touch with poster maker Crazy fan. Told him/her on the casts I wanted and the kind of feel for my poster.

The poster makers just designed it for free and sent to you via email. Life was simple with everyone helping each other out because we loved fanfics a lot.

Wrote my first fanfic in 2001. Took three years to complete 28 chapters. Continued writing about five other stories.

Actually argued with a reader on my comment box back and forth as I wrote his/her favourite Ruby Lin as a snobbish bitch. We were both 20 and 21 years old back then. Face palming myself right now.

Over the years, I completed some, ran out of ideas for others and totally abandoned it after I started working. Forgotten all about it until years ago. 

I was chatting with a friend and reminiscing about our childhood days. Talked about our favourite pastimes and Winglin fanfic came to my mind. 

Went to check out its website and it was already closed in 2013. Felt hurt right then as if my entire life came collapsing down onto me. So much regrets for not backing up my stories.

While I was googling on something today, Winglin fanfic popped up in my head. Tried searching for the website to see if there was any luck and found Asian fanfics instead.

Some users had posted the link for Winglin’s archive. Thanks to user CyndyL. Clicked on the link and scrolled like mad to find my first fanfic which was last posted in 2004.

The kind of overwhelming memories all pouring back to me. Reading all my posts and comments from readers. Felt like a little girl again. 

Wanted to find a hole and hide when I spotted some grammar mistakes. Tearing up while typing out everything now. So much love and words cannot describe how I’m feeling right now.

If all of the authors who wrote their fanfics when they were 16 years old, they would be around 30 plus by now. Some would be parents or even grandparents already.

If any of you who used to be part of Winglin and is reading this post, please go to the link and look for your babies. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20080526075251fw_/http://www.winglin.net/fanfic/completed.shtml

Send me the link to your stories and I’m willing to stop watching my Korean dramas for now.

Thanks for reading everyone. Do help me share this post and spread the words around. ❤️❤️❤️


21 comments:

  1. Hello! I used to write fantiction stories here! I can't find some of my old works. Do you know where I can find them? Please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, you may try the link on my post but I'm not sure if you will be able to find your stories. I only managed to find a few of mine.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this! I found my listing but unfortunately when I clicked it it said archive not found and I felt so bad lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear.. I can feel you.. I also lost quite a number of stories..

      Delete
  3. OMG this is amazing, I spent so much time on this site when I was in middle school/highschool LOL. Thank you for posting. It'll be fun to revisit my old favorites and cringe LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, I hope you find your stories!

      Delete
  4. wow...it's been awhile I was still in high school when I started writing and reading stories on winglin. I completed 4 or 5 stories on there. I went by babyblue at the time. one of the stories I've written was called Highschool? Sux!!! haha just the title alone had grammar mistakes heh. I think I was 14-15 when I started that story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is okay to make grammar mistakes. I still make them these days. It is the storyline that keep readers going. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm glad that you found your old stories! You stay safe too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. didn't find mine. the latest works on the link were last updated way back May 2008. As I remember, I started writing on winglin year 2009. too bad for me. though, don't know if it was a good thing that I don't have to see my cringey works hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear sorry to hear that you did not manage to find your stories.:(

      Delete
  7. I found my old thumb drive which I saved some of my favourite winglin author's stories and actually pdf it when i was in sec sch. the thumb drive which I left hidden in my shelves for 10 over years and during these times man so much changes in my life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes those were the days! Great memories!

      Delete
    2. Just curious.. anyone by the author name mjai.. the stories were awesome

      Delete
    3. Should be in one of the stories, but I guess you need a lot of patience to scroll through all the pages to look for this author. Wish you luck!

      Delete
  8. I found mine. But, I cant opened it to read. It just shows the content. T.T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear I'm sorry you were unable to read the stories. It's sad right as we did not think to do back-up in the past.

      Delete
  9. https://web.archive.org/web/20140626005913fw_/http://www.winglin.net/fanfic/completed.shtml
    you can use this link, this one dated may 2014

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing the link! Will check them out. Much appreciated!

      Delete
  10. Hi I can’t seem to open the story titled natural causes. Had read that and it’s awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there sorry that you were unable to open it. As you can see I also found the link to Winglin Fan Fic via other website and able to share to everyone. Hopefully, you are able to find other stories by the same writer. :)

      Delete